Wednesday 22 February 2012

History of naming Vancouver Streets

Understanding History of naming Vancouver Streets makes life in Vancouver more interesting and exciting .


Ever wonder who your neighborhood streets were named after? 
 I have lived in Vancouver since last September but I never concern about streets name of Vancouver. When I worked around Richard strees, suddenly I wonder about origin of this street name.Is it great names of past ages? or some region's name? So I decide that I'll search about history of naming Vancouver streets. 

The street name has historical ,geographical background.
Usually streets name reflects regional characteristic and the orgin of streets name are greate names of past ages.
For example, Richard strees is named by L . A .Hamilton, after the Honourable Albert Norton Richards (1822-97), lieutenant-governor of British Columbia, 1876-81.

What do you think about the name of Cambie street?
It named after H. J. Cambie (1836 - 1928) an engineer and surveyor. He was employed by the CPR to choose a route for the railway, he also wqas in charge of construction work through the Fraser Canyon as well as overseeing all surveys in BC. The City of Abbottsford is also named after him.

Researching the origin of streets name makes you more understanding and interesting Vancouver life.
In order to understand the origin of streets name, you should research web sites, documents ,books about that city.  When I research the Vancouver streets name, I referenced these sites and documents.I could find a lot of things about Vancouver while I checked these materials also it makes me get familiar with this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment